Banks Power Derringer Inline-Tuner (2017-2019 6.6L Duramax)
Stop the competition in your 2017-2019 GM 6.6L Duramax L5P with the Banks Power 66793 Derringer Tuner (Gen2) With iDash 1.8 & Data-Logging This value priced, feature packed tuner gives you torque and power gains across the full RPM range. Starting off at idle, and marching to the shift point in each gear. Designed to use multiple data inputs such as throttle position, RPM, vehicle speed, AFR, knock, and coolant temp just like your engine's ECU. It's microprocessor based electronics are able to actively and safely optimize calibrations in real time, unlike other products on the market.
The Derringer with iDash has six switched settings. Level 6 produces best in class performance that knocks you back in your set. The Plus setting is for work use and has great mid-range feel. When running Plus with a loaded work truck and/or pulling a trailer, your on ramp merging speeds and passing times are greatly improved. The Derringer is the only tuner that actually utilizes your truck’s ECU to make intelligent calculations!
The electronics are molded into a waterproof connector, which is easily concealed and communicates using B-Bus (Banks Bus) with other devices such as the iDash 1.8 Super Gauge/Control Center. The Derringer connects in line with the Throttle Inlet Pressure (TIP) and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors. But, unlike others it also connects to the vehicle's OBDII diagnostic bus connector. A CAN (controller area network) transceiver chip communicates with OBD or B-Bus allowing our microprocessors to talk with the vehicle. And, Derringer's special coolant temp watchdog prevents power addition when the engine is too cold or overheated. The Derringer also auto-adjusts power if knock occurs due to bad fuel. Maximum safe power is all automatic with a Derringer, you just choose your setting.
Unlike the fixed tuning used by others, the Derringer calibration is continuously adjusting to provide you the peak possible performance under every driving condition. By utilizing the power of the OBD-II data, the tuner intelligently fine-tunes its calibration on the fly without you having to change its power level.
- Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) – The Derringer senses your engine’s EGT and intelligently modulates fueling to maintain a safe maximum EGT, protecting your turbo and engine.
- Altitude compensation – The Derringer senses ambient air pressure, controlling the turbocharger to maintain added boost and power as altitude increases.
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regen – The Derringer tuner constantly monitors your DPF regen status and will optimize its calibration to ensure the DPF regen process completes successfully.
- Accelerator Pedal Monitoring – The Derringer senses accelerator pedal position to roll in additional power progressively, optimizing part-throttle fuel economy and giving max power when you ask for it.
- Coolant Temperature Monitoring – The Derringer senses coolant temp to control added power. During warmup, no power is added below 120° F, then power is ramped in and fully available above 150° If the coolant overheats for any reason, the Derringer starts removing its power at 230° F and additional power is totally removed if you exceed 240° F.
- Full Power Timer – If set on Sport level, the Derringer allows for 30 seconds of wide open throttle before transitioning to the recommended power level for sustained tow/haul. (Our research has shown that the stock L5P when at full power will hit 1450° EGT and after a minute or so will pull out fuel to cool things down. So, we do the same thing.)
TransCommand Active Transmission Safety System
in addition to AutoRate Adaptive Tuning, the Derringer utilizes key engine and transmission parameters to enhance shift performance and improve the longevity of your transmission. Because the competitors lack the essential OBD-II data, they always add power at wide open throttle—no matter what! This can cause excessive transmission slip, torque converter clutch slip and even 170 HP engine derates in order for the transmission to complete the shift. This harms the overall performance and degrades your transmission. The Derringer is meticulously calibrated and extensively tested to properly modulate power during shifting, optimizing performance and safety.
- Intelligent Shift Tuning – The transmission shift request signal is monitored to optimize the power level prior to the shift protecting the transmission, increasing shift speed and avoiding ECU power derates.
- Boost and Fuel by Gear – Gear based calibration allows for optimum traction and performance
- Torque Converter Clutch Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts to modulate TCC slip to safe levels.
- Transmission Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts calibration to modulate transmission slip to safe levels
The Derringer is the only tuner on the market to include ‘Active Safety’, an active failsafe system that utilizes bypass relays to smoothly transition your vehicle to stock power levels in the event of any trouble signs in the Derringer. The system constantly monitors various parameters at over 50 times a second to ensure that everything is operating as it should. If any competitive tuners loose power or fail in any way, they will instantly trigger a “limp home” mode where all power is lost and the vehicle dangerously slows to a crawl. If the same fault condition occurs to the Derringer it will gracefully remove its additional power and return to stock power levels without a hitch.
- Internal self-diagnostics checks health of the system 50 times per second
- Monitors MAP and FRP signals for out of range condition (disconnected or short circuit)
- Watchdog timer constantly monitors CPU activity
- Active safety engages if 12-volt power is lost to the Derringer tuner
iDash 1.8 Additional Features With Data-Logging
The iDash 1.8 provides addition features to your Derringer Tuner. You can data-log up to 100 Derringer engine or transmission parameters through microSD card. The 6 power levels can be changed on-the-fly with the iDash, and the optimized Derringer Layout allows you to view vital data from multiple engine or transmission parameters. In addition, the system can be expanded with other Banks Bus products (not included).
- 6 Power Levels with on-the-fly adjustability
- Optimized Degginer layout to view vital data
- Regen status displayed over power level when regen is active
- Power added bar graph shows Derringer power being added
- Datalog up to 100 Derringer, engine or transmission parameters
- On-screen Derringer status indicator
- +61 HP & 112 Lb-ft.
- iDash Data-Logging
- Plug & Play Installation
- 6 Power Levels With On-The-Fly Changing Using iDash
- ActiveSafety Protects Engine / Powertrain
- No Reflashing Required - No Traces Left In ECM
- Rugged Waterproof Design
- E.O. Number D-161-115
Note: Replaces Banks part number 66792
CA Residents: CARB E.O. Number on file - LEGAL for use in California.